March 20, 2010 – I’ve talked about GigaPixel Panoramas before on the blog. It’s when you combine a number of high-resolution images into a panoramic image creating one very large and very detailed “GigaPixel” image. Motorized camera mounts are used to move the camera, taking photos a predetermined intervals, then specialized software is used to create the final image.
Well this week GigaPan introduced the much-anticipated EPIC Pro robotic camera mount designed for DSLR cameras. This professional grade device is strong enough to hold a camera and lens combination of up to 10 lbs. Based on technology employed by NASA’s Mars Rover, the GigaPan EPIC Pro enables users to capture enormous panoramas with crisp, vivid detail. Combined with the included GigaPan Stitch software and GigaPan.com, users can create and upload their images for others to discover and explore.
The GigaPan EPIC Pro will be available in April for $895.
For a great example of a GigaPixel Panorama, check out my post “The Worlds Largest Photo – 26 GigaPixels”.
New EPIC Pro Empowers DSLR Cameras to Capture Uber-Panoramas
Latest EPIC and EPIC 100 Launch
PORTLAND, Ore. – March 15, 2010 – Today GigaPan introduces the much-anticipated EPIC Pro, a revolutionary robotic camera mount designed for DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) cameras. Based on technology employed by NASA’s Mars Rover, the GigaPan EPIC Pro joins the newly designed EPIC and EPIC 100 in the series.
GigaPan EPIC robotic mounts empower cameras to take hundreds, even thousands of photos, which are combined to create one highly detailed image with amazing depth and clarity. With the new, faster GigaPan Stitch software (included) these photos are blended seamlessly into one brilliant panorama, then uploaded to GigaPan.com, where users can zoom into the detail, explore and share.
GigaPan EPIC Series, GigaPan Stitch software and GigaPan.com work together to make the first complete solution for high resolution imaging.
Introducing EPIC Pro – Available April
Designed to work with DSLR cameras and larger lenses, the EPIC Pro features advanced technology and design for stunning performance and precision. Powerful, accurate and easy-to-use, EPIC Pro is the professional grade device for capturing multi-gigapixel panoramas. Strong enough to hold a camera and lens combination of up to 10 lbs, EPIC Pro enables users to capture enormous panoramas with crisp, vivid detail. See examples. For updates and availability notification please visit gigapansystems.com.
EPIC and EPIC 100 Launch
Incredible power in a compact panohead, the new EPIC and EPIC 100 allow a broad range of point-and-shoot cameras to take gigapixel images. Light and compact, the new EPIC and EPIC 100 are easy-to-use, providing users with new features to enhance the photography experience. Both models feature a 360-degree panoramic range of motion, illuminated display and redesigned battery pack for simple installation. GigaPan EPIC and EPIC 100 are currently available for purchase at gigapansystems.com.
New GigaPan Stitch software released
New faster GigaPan Stitch software is included with every EPIC purchase. GigaPan Stitch automatically combines and blends hundreds of photos into one seamless gigapixel panorama, then uploads it to GigPan.com, where users can zoom into the detail, discover, explore and share.
Pricing and Availability
EPIC Pro $895 – Designed to work with most DSLR cameras. Available April.
New EPIC 100 $449 – Enhanced consumer interface. For larger point-and-shoot cameras and several small DSLRs.
New EPIC $349 – Enhanced consumer interface. For compact digital cameras.
New GigaPan Stitch software included with every EPIC purchase.
EPIC SERIES FEATURES
Designed for use with smaller digital cameras, EPIC is especially compact, robust, durable, and lightweight, making them perfect for travel and adventure.
- 360 degree panoramic range-of-motion
- Removable battery pack allows for easy removal of batteries. Improved, increased battery life of up to 30 percent
- Easy-to-navigate menu with illuminated display
- Simple camera mount and bubble level allow for quick set-up
- Start Delay/Timer enables a timer delay before each panorama capture begins.
- Includes options to repeat last panorama, pause and scroll, and order pictures as rows or columns
Designed for use with a broad range of point-and-shoot cameras, and several smaller DSLRs. In addition to all the same great features as the EPIC, the EPIC 100 also includes:
- Extendable metal plate to accommodate larger digital cameras
- Multiple shutter to enable multiple pictures at each image location up to 9 times per position
Designed to work with DSLR cameras, EPIC Pro features advanced technology and excellent design for outstanding performance and incredible results.
- Large lenses are supported – Camera and lens combinations of up to 10 lbs can be used with the EPIC Pro.
- Precision accuracy – Powered camera movement and simple fore/aft up/down adjustment for optimal positioning of the nodal point and varied camera/lens combinations.
- Strong and durable, yet lightweight – Designed with magnesium chassis and aluminum arm, the EPIC Pro weighs less than 8 lbs with battery pack.
- Rechargeable battery pack (7.2V, 4300mAH) included – Charge the battery on its own or while inserted in the EPIC Pro, convenient for charging while shooting. Charger included.
- Multiple triggering option – Allows the EPIC Pro to take multiple pictures at each image location up to 20 times per position for exposure bracketing or multiple image enhancement.
- Optimized range of motion – 360 panoramic and -65/+90 tilt range of motion with precision incremental movement.
- Adjustable features include: time between exposures, motor speed, aspect ratio and picture overlap.
GigaPan EPIC Series is based on the same technology employed by the Mars Rover to capture the incredible images of the red planet. Powerful GigaPan technology is the result of a joint research project by scientists at Carnegie Mellon University and NASA. Now everyone has the opportunity to use technology developed for Mars to take their own incredible images here on Earth.
GigaPan Systems was formed in 2008 as a commercial spin-off of a successful research collaboration between a team of researchers at NASA and Carnegie Mellon University. The company’s mission is to bring this powerful, high-resolution imaging capability to a broad audience. For more information, visit gigapansystems.com.
Latest posts by Trevor Current (see all)
- 4K Video Flyover of Apple’s New Campus - April 6, 2015
- Get Unlimited Cloud Photo Storage From Amazon - April 5, 2015
- Google Wants Your Photography Website to be Mobile-friendly - April 5, 2015