Sept 20, 2010 – PRESS SUMMARY – PENTAX Imaging Systems has announced the PENTAX K-5 digital SLR camera. The K-5 DSLR offers a true high-end prosumer design and features normally found only on the most costly of professional cameras. With exceptional reliability, user-friendly operation, and the compact, lightweight body of its predecessor, the PENTAX K-7, the new K-5 offers several important and improved features.
The pro-oriented “prosumer” features that take this latest PENTAX DSLR to the next level include:
- High resolution 16.3 megapixel CMOS sensor.
- Fast up to 7 FPS to capture fast action shots.
- High sensitivity 80-12800 ISO range, expandable to 51200, with improved noise performance overall.
- Widescreen 1080p HD video at 25 FPS with sound via built-in microphone or external 3.5mm stereo microphone jack.
- Newly improved, highly responsive and accurate 11 point SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with dedicated AF assist lamp and light wavelength sensor.
- Focus and shutter speed priority during AF-C.
- Native support for both PENTAX PEF and Adobe DNG 14 bit RAW files.
- Improved in-camera HDR image capture with more blending modes and better image alignment for handheld HDR shots.
- SDXC memory card compatibility (via firmware update).
Additional important features on the new PENTAX K-5 digital SLR include:
- A fully weather sealed and coldproof design.
- A large 3 inch LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution.
- Durable magnesium alloy that surrounds a rugged stainless steel chassis.
- Highly accurate 77 segment metering system.
- Pentaprism viewfinder with 100% field of view and 0.92X magnification.
- PENTAX body-based Shake Reduction (SR) stabilization system that works with every PENTAX lens ever made.
- A maximum 1/8000 second shutter speed.
- HDMI port outputs high definition images and video (and sound).
- A wide range of in-camera image processing and special effects filters.
- Customizable RAW/Fx button.
- Built-in electronic level with tilt scale display in LCD panel.
These improvements and features are a direct result of customer feedback provided to PENTAX by dedicated “prosumer” Pentaxian shooters who have helped refine the K-5 to deliver a wide feature set and make it a perfect all-purpose camera for field or studio use. The K-5 is an excellent choice for advanced enthusiasts looking for a compact, yet highly advanced camera without spending thousands of dollars more. The PENTAX K-5 digital SLR will ship in October 2010 as a body kit only for $1,599.95 USD or as a lens kit with the 18-55mm WR for $1,749.95 USD.
PENTAX Imaging also announced the smc PENTAX-DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR lens designed exclusively for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras. This interchangeable zoom lens features a simplified weather-resistant construction and extra-smooth autofocus operation using a built-in motor, in addition to its high 7.5X zoom ratio. This new lens will ship in October for $529.95 USD.
*The Current Photographer website contains links to our affiliate partners. Purchasing products and services through these links helps support our efforts to bring you the quality information you love and there’s no additional cost to you.
Founder of Current Photographer, co-host of The Digital Photography Cafe Show, Designer, Photographer, and overall tech geek.